Re: cron(8) improvement

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 16:18:02 -0800
On 9 November 2013 16:05, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au> wrote:

> On 10 Nov 2013, at 24:24, Matthew Seaman <matthew_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>>   2) Should ports / packages populate these cron.d directories?
>>
>>       This is a much more interesting question.  Effectively its asking
>>       if a port / package should provide some level of automatic
>>       configuration -- a thing that has previously been a no-no for
>>       FreeBSD.
>
> I think it would be OK if they installed entries in a disabled state.
>
> ie either the file is named such that it is ignored by cron (preferable IMO) or the entries in them are commented out.

I want the opposite.

I'm kinda fed up installing packages that don't enable themselves.

'pkg install xorg' is not enough to get a working xorg. You have to
enable hal and dbus and then restart (so things come up in the right
order; manually starting them doesn't work) in order to get X working.

If people are really worried about this, then I suggest a couple of
package options for this stuff:

* whether to default enable the package or not;
* whether to default enable the cron scripts or not.

Please install the cron scripts by default. Please then write up a
simple rc.conf style setup where the cron scripts can check a config
file to see if they should run. I don't want to have to freaking
delete, rename, etc cron.d files. I just want the package files to be
almost-untouched and have an option of working out of the box.

Please, please allow an option to make this crap work out of the box already.

-adrian