Re: cron(8) improvement

From: <dt71_at_gmx.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 00:26:06 +0100
Adrian Chadd wrote, On 11/10/2013 01:18:
> I'm kinda fed up installing packages that don't enable themselves.

There should be no package that needs activation, that is if you want a desktop computer, not a server.

> 'pkg install xorg' is not enough to get a working xorg. You have to
> enable hal and dbus and then restart (so things come up in the right
> order; manually starting them doesn't work) in order to get X working.

I use:
hald_enable="NO"
dbus_enable="NO"

> Please install the cron scripts by default. Please then write up a
> simple rc.conf style setup where the cron scripts can check a config
> file to see if they should run.

Provided that there will be
- an option for every instance of a port wanting to install a cron.d script -- ie., port options plus a settable NO_CROND_SCRIPTS -- and
- a fail-safe mechanism to disable all cron.d entries, ie. crond_enable="NO",
I feel that installed scripts could be an option.