Re: rcs

From: Teske, Devin <Devin.Teske_at_fisglobal.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 22:05:55 +0000
On Oct 9, 2013, at 2:48 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> On 9 October 2013 11:28, Bruce Cran <bruce_at_cran.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 10/9/2013 3:17 PM, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>>
>>> Only a few years ago you could take a dvd or memstick of FreeBSD and have
>>> 1000s of packages to choose from during your install.  That is broken now?
>>>

>> At some point it was decided that the installer should be as simple as
>> possible and package installation was a post-install task, for once the
>> system was up and running. I think that might be changing with bsdinstall
>> getting pkgng support, but it did seem like a fairly major regression at
>> the time.

That wasn't the rationale. sysinstall was broken and more people wanted a
replacement than wanted to see it fixed.

bsdinstall is simply coming of age still (sysinstall had a 15 year run).

> I think it was more a "this is a stepping stone to a bigger change.." ..
> and that didn't happen soon after.

Adrian is right. It was a "first step" (nobody intended to see functionality
get dropped -- it's a matter of finding the time to replace a 15-year code
line -- sysinstall).

Only a very small handful of us are actively working on it. It's further along
than you think. You can always help out by testing.

> The other thing here is the introduction of the uhm, "livefs". It's big and
> it took up the space once occupied by the first set of packages. Honestly,
> I'm kinda surprised how big base is these days, but I have other fights to
> fight right now.

The livefs is a bee in my bonnet too. But as you say... more pressing things
to worry about right now than break something that is working currently.
--
Devin