Re: BE Loader Menu (was Re: rcs)

From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6724_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 02:33:36 +0000
from Devin Teske:

> I'm late to the party again ;D (didn't realize the rcs thread had turned BE)

> Both problems can be solved.
> The loading of the kernel *after* choosing your boot device is trivial.
> We've been doing it at $work for *years* (almost a decade?)

> I can put that in, whenever. Probably at the same time as implementing
> the live/dynamic BE menus for selecting the root device.

I'd like to know how to boot FreeBSD >= 9.1 with grub2.

Following the instructions under $PORTSDIR/sysutils/grub2

insmod ufs2
set root=(hd0,gpt3)
kfreebsd /boot/loader
boot

stopped working around FreeBSD 9.1-stable.

I used Super Grub2 Disk image on the System Rescue CD written to USB stick.

Recently, I built sysutils/grub2, ran mkrescue, wrote that image to the System Rescue USB stick and made the entry in /syslinux/syslinux.cfg, but haven't tested that yet.

What is the method you or PC-BSD uses?

I want to use it on FreeBSD 9.2 and 10-current.

I tried visiting pcbsd.org website but couldn't find any details.

Tom