Re: FreeBSD 10 and zfsd

From: Allan Jude <freebsd_at_allanjude.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 17:54:27 -0400
On 2013-10-10 15:59, O. Hartmann wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 13:41:06 -0500
> Mark Felder <feld_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

>>> See, all you have to do is complain loudly enough :p
>>>
>> I was sad more than anything. I'd been waiting for zfsd since the
>> project was announced. :-) I'm glad to know we won't have to wait
>> until 11.0.
> Ha!
>
> Very funny. I created a RAIDZ1 pool and by reading the man page for
> zpool, which states precisely how to create a hot spare for a given
> pool. I wasn't aware until now that this action was useless, and even
> dangerous. Well, bravo, I must admit, the man page does not give any
> kind of warning that one can not rely on a hot spare.
>
> oh
The ZFS spare functinality basically just marks the drive as a spare, so
you as the admin know what drive to use when replacement time comes

I've been working on the handbook section on ZFS and made certain to
mention that, I'll have to look at improving the man page as well, but
as far as I know, the man page is imported from IllumOS, where spares do
work.

ZFSd is important and I hope to see more movement on it soon.

--
Allan Jude