Re: newcons comming

From: Matthias Andree <matthias.andree_at_gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 11:18:47 +0200
Am 25.10.2013 14:18, schrieb Aleksandr Rybalko:
> Hello fellow hackers!
>
> I finally reach the point when I can work with newcons instead of
> syscons on my laptop. Yes, I know it still buggy and have a lot of
> style(9) problems. But we really have to get it into HEAD and 10.0 to
> enable shiny new Xorg features, drivers, etc.
>
> So I ask everyone to look "hard" into that[1] and tell me your opinion.
> I expect a lot of opinions, since it have to affect almost all good
> guys, as result I have to ask to split "bug reports" into two parts:

It should only get in a "stable" (10/STABLE) version when it is solid,
stable, and free of known bugs.  Thus, please have it matured in 11/HEAD
for now, and merge when it's ready.  If that means going a point release
with older xorg stuff, then we have to live with that.

Especially if I read further down the thread that newer xorg depends on
newcons - there would be no way back for xorg should more serious issues
come up (and we cannot possibly test everything on the developer's end -
some things will only come up as users upgrade/install from 10.0-RELEASE
DVDs), which is a bigger risk.

Rather old xorg with known issues, than random regressions that might
leave us with a new xorg but _newly_ does not work at all for users,
without any other way to go back but "use 9.2".