newcons comming

From: Aleksandr Rybalko <ray_at_ddteam.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 15:18:47 +0300
Hello fellow hackers!

I finally reach the point when I can work with newcons instead of
syscons on my laptop. Yes, I know it still buggy and have a lot of
style(9) problems. But we really have to get it into HEAD and 10.0 to
enable shiny new Xorg features, drivers, etc.

So I ask everyone to look "hard" into that[1] and tell me your opinion.
I expect a lot of opinions, since it have to affect almost all good
guys, as result I have to ask to split "bug reports" into two parts:
1. Should be done before merge to 10.0;
2. Can be done later.

If it possible, please do it(review - report) ASAP.
I have plan to done it that way:
1. Merge newcons to head (in a few days);
2. Fix a lot of reported bugs (2 hrs :-D );
3. Persuade re_at_ about we need it in 10.0 (one week, maybe two);
4. Merge to 10.0;
5. One year AFK somewhere on Bahamas;^W^W^W^W^W^W^W
5. Add mouse cut-paste support;
6. Fix new bugs;
7. Some drinks.

What do we will have with newcons:
* (Think it is main) Allow us to switch to fresh Xorg, which require
KMS.
* Graphic devices which can provide framebuffer access can be easily
used as virtual terminals (someone may have pixel-LCD on front of PC
tower, may found it useful :-D )
* See [2].

TODO:
* Lack of key mapping files, everyone can help with that using
instructions on [3];
* A bit slow (mostly scrolling affected).
* Other bugs :)
* See [2].

Thanks!

[1] - http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/user/ed/newcons/