Re: [heads up] axing AppleTalk and IPX/SPX

From: Patrick M. Hausen <hausen_at_punkt.de>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 19:57:44 +0100
Hi, all,

Am 28.10.2013 um 17:49 schrieb drosih_at_rpi.edu:
> I notice that CAP was removed from the ports collection some time ago,
> and that there didn't seem to be any objections to that.  So that's
> some more indication that appletalk isn't seeing much use.

I’d guess the main reason is that Apple and Novell had enough foresight
to make their proprietary file sharing and printing protocols run over IP.
And for Apple this has been the case, since when? System 7.5.? Earlier, even?

I’m curious what it is your are running in sufficient numbers to make Appletalk
mandatory?

> As far as the kernel-level support, I assume you're just removing all
> the code tied to the kernel options NETATALK and NETATALKDEBUG?  Or does
> it entail some other changes, which might wreck my custom compile of CAP?

IIRC - and I used to use CAP a lot - it uses BPF to get the interface into promiscuous
mode and does all of the protocol itself. So as long as the upcoming changes do not
touch the BPF API, you should be fine.

Kind regards
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH * Kaiserallee 13a * 76133 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100