Re: [heads up] axing AppleTalk and IPX/SPX

From: <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 12:49:14 -0400
('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 11:28:07 EDT Julian Elischer wrote: > > On 10/28/13 8:42 PM, Gleb Smirnoff wrote: > > > > The plan is two axe two old networking protocols from FreeBSD head/, > > meaning that FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE (available in couple of years) would > > be shipped without them. > > > > 1) AppleTalk > > > > Last time claimed to be supported by vendor in 2007[1]. In > > practice had very little use since 90th. > > Discontinued by major routing equipment vendors since 2009[2]. > > I did a lot of work on this to get it going in the 90s but > really it's only current value is as an example of a non-IP protocol. > > (and the same for IPX, which was what Novell used to use I believe.) > I'd be pretty amazed to discover anyone still used either. FWIW, we still use Appletalk for a lot of printing at RPI, although we're not using the system-level Appletalk in FreeBSD. I've got my own heavily customized version of the old CAP (Columbia Appletalk Package). We use it only for printing, not for file-sharing. I can certainly confirm that very few printers support Appletalk, so obviously we (at RPI) are in for a world of hurt at some point in the future. But we've also cut back so much on systems-programmers and sysadmin's that we haven't had the manpower to work on alternatives. I suspect this will end badly. I notice that CAP was removed from the ports collection some time ago, and that there didn't seem to be any objections to that. So that's some more indication that appletalk isn't seeing much use. As far as the kernel-level support, I assume you're just removing all the code tied to the kernel options NETATALK and NETATALKDEBUG? Or does it entail some other changes, which might wreck my custom compile of CAP? -- Garance Alistair Drosehn = drosehn_at_rpi.edu Senior Systems Programmer or gad_at_FreeBSD.org Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; Troy, NY; USA Received on Mon Oct 28 2013 - 15:49:24 UTC