Re: ZFS secondarycache on SSD problem on r255173

From: Borja Marcos <borjam_at_sarenet.es>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 13:06:14 +0200
On Sep 13, 2013, at 2:18 PM, Steven Hartland wrote:

> This is a recent bit of code by Justin cc'ed, so he's likely the best person to
> investigate this one.

Hmm. There is still a lot of confusion surrounding all this, and it's a time bomb waiting to explode.

A friend had serious problems on 9.2 with the gnop trick in order to force a 4 KB block size. After a reboot,
ZFS would insist on trying to find the .nop device for the ZIL which, of course, did no longer exist. In his case, for some reason,
ZFS didn't identify the labelled gpt/name or gptpd/uuid devices as valid, and the pool wouldn't attach. Curiously, it did identify the L2ARC
without problems.

The cure was to disable GPT labels using loader.conf (I don't remember if he disabled kern.geom.label.gptid.enable, kern.geom.label.gpt.enable or both) in
order to force it to use the "classical" daXpY nomenclature.

As I said, this sounds like a time bomb in the works. There seems to be some confusion in the ZFS between the different naming schemes you
can use for a disk partition right now ( daXpY, gpt label or gptid).

Borja.