what is the status of KMS support in newcons?

From: John Reynolds <johnjen_at_reynoldsnet.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 21:46:50 -0700
Hello all,

I was just wondering what the status of KMS support with newcons is?
About 6 weeks ago I got some help on x11_at_ and much was said about KMS
(and the lack of support for the 'newer' Haswell graphics). somebody
mentioned that one of the problems where the "console goes away" once
you fire up X was that the console driver didn't support KMS, so you
could never really successfully alt-Ctrl-bksp and kill X (or exit
cleanly) and get back to your VT. Word was said that this problem was
being worked on and hopefully would get brought in towards the "tail end
of august."

So, am just wondering what the status of that project is?

thanks,

-Jr