RE: Leaving the Desktop Market

From: <dteske_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 07:46:16 -0700

Eitan,

While I understand your frustration, VICOR is using FreeBSD as a Desktop since
FreeBSD 2.2. We don't use sound and we are fine relying on vesa.

While I understand that the things you listed are actual short-comings for normal
Desktop users,  I think it's the wrong decision to say that we should be backing
out *any* functionality that would make the Desktop any more difficult to
produce.

As it stands, it would take me weeks just to count the number of workstations
that are running a GUI, rely on one of the existing video drivers (nv, radeon,
mach64, etc.) and use lots of Desktop ports.
--
Devin