Re: RFT: Please help testing the llvm/clang 3.5.0 import

From: Dimitry Andric <dim_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 14:02:58 +0100
On 18 Dec 2014, at 02:17, NGie Cooper <yaneurabeya_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Dimitry Andric <dim_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>    As a request to speed up the build process further,
>    - Would it be [easily] possible in the clang35 branch to bootstrap
> the compiler for a specific architecture? The bootstrap / cross
> compiler for instance always builds N targets instead of building just
> the desired TARGET/TARGET_ARCH combo.

It's not very easy, at least not without breaking various parts of our
fragile build system, but I surely want to put something like this on
the TODO list for *after* the import has completed.

The branch is making progress right now, and I would not want to
complicate matters further by introducing yet another tricky feature. :)

>    - Could a "MK_CLANG_ALL_TARGETS" or something similar option be
> added to src.opts.mk to fine tune this process for those of us who
> don't want to build a cross-compile toolchain every iteration for our
> target MACHINE/MACHINE_ARCH?

I would be fine with something like this, as long as it is turned off by
default, or if it is only used for the bootstrap stages.  It is actually
an extremely useful feature of clang that you can target multiple
architectures with one compiler binary.

A more interesting case would be to remodel the build system so it can
use one toolchain (external, or pkg-ng'd, maybe?) for building an entire
universe.  With clang, that should be relatively easy to do.

-Dimitry