Re: libinit idea

From: Andreas Nilsson <andrnils_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 09:33:05 +0100
On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 8:46 AM, Scot Hetzel <swhetzel_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 5:54 PM, Bruno Lauzé <brunolauze_at_msn.com> wrote:
> > https://github.com/brunolauze/libnit
> >
> > I know there's really big debate about init system but here's my
> tentative to propose a new model to replace rc.
> >
> > Let's call it libinit but the name as no significance for now.
> >
> > I started coding a library with the following architecture.
> >
> > the main idea is to rewrite rc in C language.

To me this seems like much work for no real gain. And it would make it that
much harder to debug a misbehaving "script", in more than one way:
* c is a lot longer than sh, ie sh expresses the logic that much more
clearly.
* to actually see the new "script" would require to have the source code
installed, something far from everybody has.

> > a utility called system would act a little bit like service command does.
> >
> > a folder would contains libraries instead of scripts inside
> [target]/etc/rc.d
> > so we can add as many librairies a user desire and interlink the order
> of each piece among all like in rc.
> >
> libraries don't belong in [target]/etc/rc.d, they would have to be in
> {/usr,}/lib{exec,}/rc.d or ${PREFIX}/lib{exec,}/rc.d
>
> Imho, the replacement to init and rc-scripts I sometimes think about would
be to import SMF from opensolaris/illumos. There one can at least get the
commands run and config used without looking at the source code.

Best regards
Andreas