Re: Import of DragonFly Mail Agent

From: Lucius Rizzo <Lucius.Rizzo_at_Lucius.XxX>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 16:16:21 +0000
* Bryan Drewery <bdrewery_at_FreeBSD.org> [2014-02-24 09:40]:

> Remembering the time I spent trying to configure sendmail to not accept
> inbound mail, and trying to get it to behave how I want, I fully support
> this. Of all the years I've messed with sendmail, I still have little
> understanding of how to configure it or if I've done it right.

Hush! No sendmail hating :P. I remember it being a right of passage to
graduate to a ^real^ UNIX admin when you had lost half of your hair
while working on sendmail.cf. In a era now long gone, I remember
carrying the sendmail bible (thick with detailed instructions on cf
vars) as protection vs. say a baseball bat.

The Sendmail manual was thick, heavy and while I never did use it as a
weapon; I had imagined many times throwing it at a server and see if
that maybe fixed the problem with sendmail.cf.

I've worked with MTA's a lot. I have hated and loved Sendmail. ATM, I am
back in my I <3 Sendmail mode and have it running quite well -- with a
lot of cool milters on some of my servers. But sendmail is not for the
faint of heart, or ones who are at risk of hair loss. In fact, I would
highly discourage sendmail use in the latter case.

> My exaggerated view of sendmail as a user:

[...]

Poof..that's easy :P

> > # Uncomment if you want STARTTLS support (only used in combination
> > with # SECURETRANSFER) #STARTTLS
>
> Yes please. Simple.
>
> I'm not sure where to even start with sendmail to enable those
> options.

See! That wasn't hard at all!! I don't get why people get so worried.
What you posted was mostly mc stuff anyways. I would be far more
impressed if you would have debugged that in the cf or via sendmail
flags. :)))

I often use ssmtp on servers that run Wordpress etc and collect most
mail to a mailhub which routes it internally and externally.

I <3 Sendmail.

--

++ The greatest griefs are those we cause ourselves. ++
++                                       		-- Sophocles ++