Re: Import of DragonFly Mail Agent

From: Darren Pilgrim <darren_at_bluerosetech.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 09:34:00 -0800
On 2/24/2014 6:56 AM, Daniel Kalchev wrote:

> On 24.02.14 13:47, Thomas Mueller wrote:
>> I don't believe BSD users use base system of itself to send and receive email.  They use ports (FreeBSD) or equivalent in other BSDs.
>
> One of the beauties of the BSD 'base system' is that upon installation
> you have an usable workstation/server environment that can be
> immediately used for most Internet-related tasks -- and this most
> certainly includes SMTP. Or NTP. Or... used to include DNS.

Your beautiful base system ready for most Internet-related tasks does
not have a:

- GUI
- browser
- media player
- email client
- IRC client
- office suite

I'm wondering what you consider "most" internet tasks.  If I want a
basic internet desktop, I need to install a couple hundred ports to
achieve that.

If I want a server that follows best practices, I have to install
openssl from ports, which means I *can't* use the in-base sendmail even
if I wanted to.