Re: [OT] ta-spring

From: David Chisnall <theraven_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 15:42:48 +0000
On 29 Jan 2014, at 15:37, Michael Schmiedgen <schmiedgen_at_gmx.net> wrote:

> On 29.01.2014 16:16, David Chisnall wrote:
>> On 29 Jan 2014, at 15:08, Michael Schmiedgen <schmiedgen_at_gmx.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Can we expect a current version of spring in ports soon? That would
>>> be nice! AFAIK newer versions require OpenMP. Will this compile with
>>> our (new 3.4 soon) base clang?
>>
>> Base clang doesn't support OpenMP.  We should probably import Intel's Clang fork into ports:
>>
>> http://clang-omp.github.io
>>
>> This can then be used to compile things that need both libc++ and OpenMP.  Intel's OpenMP runtime is permissively licensed now, but will likely require a small amount of porting to get it to work on FreeBSD (it supports Linux and OS X).
>>

> I thought OpenMP will be an integral part of LLVM/clang in near future,
> at least the front-end part? It seems there are plans to even integrate
> the runtime in the llvm project source tree:
>
> http://openmp.llvm.org/
>
> Ok, so llvm/clang 3.4 obviously will not ship with OpenMP, but maybe
> later versions.

Active development happens in Intel's tree, and is slowly being merged upstream.  Eventually, Clang will have full OpenMP 4 support, but Intel's tree will have it first and there is likely to be a lag before it makes it into mainline clang.

As such, it would make sense to have a port as a stop-gap until it is ready.

David