Re: freebsd-update

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 14:26:44 -0800
On 29 January 2014 13:51, Colin Percival <cperciva_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 01/29/14 12:51, Lars Engels wrote:
>>>
>>> Even streaming the tar instead of waiting for the freebsd-update server
>>> to produce the tarball would be an improvement. I have no experience
>>> doing that over a WAN but I don't see why it would be unreliable.
>>
>> Colin, what do you think? Is it possible?
>
> Anything is *possible*, but given that the number of patches available is
> typically at least 10x the number being fetched this doesn't seem like it
> would be very efficient.
>
> FWIW, the performance problems with proxies are limited to HTTP proxies
> which don't speak HTTP/1.1.

Did you / others ever actually benchmark this?

I know that Squid supports pipelined requests but only a handful
(defaulting to 1) at a time, as the actual error semantics for
HTTP/1.1 pipelining wasn't well defined.

So flipping it around - which intermediaries that are actually in use
by companies and such actually support pipelining at the level that
you're doing it?

-a