Re: FreeBSD iscsi target

From: Edward Tomasz Napierała <trasz_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 21:08:19 +0200
On 0703T1615, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 2:12 AM, Edward Tomasz Napierała <trasz_at_freebsd.org>
> wrote:
>
> > In 10-STABLE there is a way to control access based on initiator
> > name and IP address.
> >

> Edward,
>
> Out of curiousity, what kinds of interop testing do you do when you
> implement
> the iSCSI code in FreeBSD?

As for the target, I wrote a script to test it against both old and new
FreeBSD initiators, Linux initiator (Open-iSCSI) and Solaris one; you
can find it at tools/regression/iscsi/.  I also did manual testing with
Windows XP and Windows Vista.  I don't remember if I actually succeeded
to do any testing with ESX (trying to run ESX under Fusion is not such
a good idea, it turns out), but I got a 3rd party report that it worked
correctly.

As for the initiator, I did manual testing against istgt, LIO (Linux)
and COMSTAR (Solaris).

> I work on FreeNAS at iXsystems, and we have
> found
> that iSCSI is a complex protocol,

No kidding :-)

> and there are interop issues, especially
> with VMWare ESX.
> Luckily I see that Alexander Motin has been working with you to commit
> fixes to the iSCSI code, which help.
>
> I've rolled an experimental FreeNAS image based on FreeBSD 10 at svn
> revision r268201 if you want to give it a try:
>
> http://download.freenas.org/nightlies/10.0.0/ALPHA/20140703/

For now I'm swamped with work on autofs, but I'd definitely want to redo
all the testing before 10.1 - last time I did it was just before 10.0.