Re: HOWTO articles for migrating from Linux to FreeBSD, especially for pkg?

From: Wout Decré <wout_at_canodus.be>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 22:46:00 +0200
On Thu, 2014-07-17 at 13:21 -0700, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On 17 July 2014 13:15, Navdeep Parhar <nparhar_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Cool, so what's the single line command needed to type in to start a
> >> given package service?
> >
> > Aren't sysrc(8) and service(8) for this kind of stuff?
>
> Yup, and if the default is going to be off, then you want the
> instructions to be "type this in", not "edit this file."
>
> There's odd things too, like "oh look I installed xorg, but then I
> can't run it without enabling hald/dbus, then starting it.. oh wait,
> no mouse, so I have to reboot for them to come up right" kind of crap.
>
> That's the kind of thing that turns people away.

I see your point, and agree that there should be clear instructions
after installing a port/package. Most ports I install already do a good
job at this.

But I would not like anything to autostart just because I install it.
Prefer to enable rather than disable something, or worse, having it
autostart without knowing.

That's the kind of thing that turned me to FreeBSD :-)