Re: [CFT] Autofs.

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 10:47:31 -0700
On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 6:51 PM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_freebsd.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 12:19 AM, Edward Tomasz NapieraƂa <
> trasz_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> At the link below you will find a patch that adds the new automounter.
>> The patch is against yesterdays 11.0-CURRENT.
>>
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~trasz/autofs-head-20140729.diff
>>

> Hi,
>
> Nice stuff!  I updated a current system, and tried the patch.
> I put autofs_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf
>
> In my network, I have a system, testhost with some NFS exports.
>
>  /dir1/export1
>  /dir1/export2
>  /dir1/export3
>
> I did:
>
>  cd /net/testhost
>
> This operation seemed to timeout.
> In dmesg, I saw these errors:
>
>   WARNING: autofs_callout: request 0 for /net/ timed out after 30 seconds
>   WARNING: autofs_trigger_one: request for /net/ completed with error 60
>   autofs_trigger: trigger failed with error 60; will retry in 1 seconds, 2
> attempts left
>   WARNING: autofs_callout: request 1 for /net/ timed out after 30 seconds
>   WARNING: autofs_trigger_one: request for /net/ completed with error 60
>   autofs_trigger: trigger failed with error 60; will retry in 1 seconds, 1
> attempts left
>   WARNING: autofs_callout: request 2 for /net/ timed out after 30 seconds
>   WARNING: autofs_trigger_one: request for /net/ completed with error 60
>   autofs_trigger: trigger failed 3 times; returning error 60
>
> I used my Mac laptop in the same network, and did:
>
>  cd /net/testhost
>
> and the command did not timeout, and I could do an ls and see that
> /net/testhost/dir1/ was visible.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> This is cool stuff, and I hope you can get it into the 10.1 RELEASE.
>
> --
> Craig

Hi,

I cannot reproduce this problem at all.

Now, when I do:

cd /net/testhost

it "just works", and I can access all the NFS exports.  My previous problem
might have been due to a temporary networking problem on my side.
Yay!

The only additional comment that I have for you is that the rc.conf
variable is
"autofs_enable", but the /etc/rc.d/ scripts are /etc/rc.d/automount and
/etc/rc.d/automountd.
It's not a big deal, but it would be nice if there was a single
/etc/rc.d/autofs script to consolidate all this stuff, that would
make it easier for admins to figure out where all the rc.d stuff related to
autofs lives.

Also, if your rc script introduced an autofs_flags (or automount_flags)
variable, so that
people could put the "-d" flag in there to enable more automount debugging,
that would be nice.

Other than that, I would say:  Great work!
I hope you can get this into 10.1-RELEASE!
--
Craig