Re: iwn driver issue

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 12:51:04 -0700
On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 09:36:35PM +0200, Edward Tomasz Napiera??a wrote:
> > I normally don't spend a huge amount of time in head -- enough to build
> > it & do a quick smoke-test.  So it's certainly possible that it merits
> > further exploration.  And I'm willing experiment, but I cannot test it
> > while I'm at work (as I don't use the wireless NIC at work -- I use it
> > almost exclusively while I'm at home (and other places), though).
>
> It would be great if you could help me with this.  Basically you need
> to enable crashdumps, as described below, and obtain a backtrace.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html

I have had crash dumps on panics running head (slice 4 of the boot
device, in my case) in the past, so that process works.  I just didn't
get a dump this morning. :-(

d130(9.3)[1] grep dump /S4/etc/rc.conf
dumpdev="AUTO"
d130(9.3)[2]

> Just for the record, the easiest way to make iwn firmware panic
> is to enter ddb (ctrl-alt-esc), wait five seconds and exit it
> ("c<enter>").

Does that process yield useful information?  (That is, is that process
sufficiently similar to a sequence of events that occurs in the real
world that the resulting information may be used to figure out how to
make the code avoid misbehavior?)

If so, I can try that soonish (e.g., en route home today, once I've
boarded the train -- vs. while I'm still on my bike :-}).

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill				david_at_catwhisker.org
Taliban: Evil cowards with guns afraid of truth from a 14-year old girl.