Re: Problems building FreeBSD 9.2 on FreeBSD 10

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 17:13:14 -0600
On Jun 23, 2014, at 5:02 PM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 9:00 PM, Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote:
> OK. I must be daft, or maybe just missing something. But I can build 9.3 almost branch point on a current jail running on a 10.x system (to simulate the 9 on current case). I don’t see the problem being talked about at all. As for 9 on 10, I was also able to do a build, but my 10.x system may not have been pristine.
>

> I was able to reproduce the problem by building FreeNAS/master branch
> (which uses FreeBSD 9.2-ish sources)
> on a FreeBSD 10 host, using "make make buildworld"
> as suggested by Glen.
>
> The FreeNAS build generates is following make.conf file and uses
> that to build FreeBSD 9.2.  It works fine on a FreeBSD-9 host, but bombs
> out on a FreeBSD 10 host.

Which bombing out are you seeing (two or three have been sighted in this thread)? And is this a nanobsd build, or a straight buildworld?

And I specifically was doing my testing on -current, not 10.x. I haven’t back ported much of anything I’ve done to the build system, and if anybody else has, then it is on them to make it work in the 10.x environment. While it has usually worked, 9 on 10 isn’t in the supported matrix we’ve traditionally had in this project.

Warner

> #WITHOUT_ACPI=true
> WITHOUT_ATM=true
> WITHOUT_BIND_DNSSEC=true
> WITHOUT_BIND_ETC=true
> WITHOUT_BIND_LIBS_LWRES=true
> WITHOUT_BIND_NAMED=true
> WITHOUT_BLUETOOTH=true
> WITHOUT_CALENDAR=true
> WITHOUT_CTM=true
> WITHOUT_CVS=true
> WITHOUT_DICT=true
> WITHOUT_EXAMPLES=true
> WITHOUT_FORTRAN=true
> WITHOUT_FREEBSD_UPDATE=yes
> WITHOUT_GAMES=true
> WITHOUT_GCOV=true
> WITHOUT_GPIB=true
> WITHOUT_HTML=true
> WITHOUT_I4B=true
> WITHOUT_IPFILTER=true
> WITHOUT_IPX=true
> WITHOUT_LIB32=true
> WITHOUT_LIBKSE=true
> # Required for proper terminal locale
> #WITHOUT_LOCALES=true
> WITHOUT_LPR=true
> WITHOUT_MAN=true
> WITHOUT_NDIS=true
> WITHOUT_NLS=true
> WITHOUT_NS_CACHING=true
> WITHOUT_OBJC=true
> WITHOUT_PORTSNAP=true
> WITHOUT_PPP=true
> WITHOUT_PROFILE=true
> WITHOUT_RCMDS=true
> WITHOUT_SENDMAIL=true
> # Knob needs to be fixed on systems that don't have the docs stuff
> # preinstalled, e.g. 9.x bsdinstall images.
> #WITHOUT_SHAREDOCS=true
> WITHOUT_SYSINSTALL=true
> # Telnet's a useful tool to have on the remote box.
> #WITHOUT_TELNET=true
> WITHOUT_WIRELESS=true
> WITHOUT_WPA_SUPPLICANT_EAPOL=true
>
> DEFAULT_VERSIONS=python=2.7
>
> NOPORTDOCS=true
>
> LOCAL_DIRS=
>

> WITHOUT_CLANG=true
> WITHOUT_SSP=true

You might have to (bogusly IMHO) define WITHOUT_CLANG_IS_CC=true as well for things to work.

Warner