Re: [HEADSUP] pkg 1.3.0 alpha1: Breath of fresh air from Kirov

From: Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 10:38:08 +0100
On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 01:57:51PM +1300, Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On 18 March 2014 06:21, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm really pleased to announce that the release process for the new major
> > version of pkg(8) has started with this first alpha1 release.
> >
> > The main feature for this release is the complete rework of the solver.
> > pkg(8) now features a real SAT solver and uses it for every operations
> > requested
> > by the user that may add, upgrade or remove packages.
> >

> I am sure this has been discussed before but does this release do anything
> to help automating UPDATING or is this a planned feature?
>
> Taking the last entry which says to "pkg set -o
> misc/p5-OSSP-uuid:misc/ossp-uuid-perl", just do it for me pkg!

The new solver takes care of this without the need of pkg set -o :)
It would be now transparent for users. (all they might discover is that a
conflict is detected then a new pass in the solver is needed and and the
problems is solved properly by the removal of ossp-uuid-perl and installation of
p5-OSSP-uuid.

regards,
Bapt