Re: timezone for 100.chksetuid

From: Tom Evans <tevans.uk_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 16:09:37 +0100
On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 2:53 PM, J.R. Oldroyd <fbsd_at_opal.com> wrote:
> I would like to propose that a timezone setting be possible for the
>
>         src/etc/periodic/security/100.chksetuid
>
> script.  Either fix it at something like UTC, or add an rc.conf setting
> that specifies what timezone to use.  Or both, default to UTC but allow
> a timezone setting in rc.conf.
>
> Reason for this is that for folk who travel, the 100.chksetuid script
> generates and diffs "find -ls" output and this output changes if you
> change timezones and update the system timezone setting while you are
> away.  It then changes back again when you return.  If you travel a lot,
> the two timezone changes cause this script to flag every setuid file as
> having changed (twice), when all that changed is the time display.  This
> means that real changes during the same period will likely be overlooked
> and the frequent non-real diffs tend to make one likely to ignore this
> section.

Do you mean you are changing /etc/localtime whenever you move to
another timezone?

I would suggest stopping doing that! Instead just set TZ in your user
environment to whatever TZ you want. That way, your programs will all
be localised correctly, and scripts which run as root will remain
consistent.

Cheers

Tom