Re: official pkg repo with WITHOUT_X11=true

From: Bryan Drewery <bdrewery_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 20:23:56 -0500
On 2014-05-28 16:44, David Chisnall wrote:
> On 28 May 2014, at 17:10, Dirk Engling <erdgeist_at_erdgeist.org> wrote:
>
>> I wonder if there is or there are any plans to provide an official
>> repo suitable for a typical non-desktop-installation, i.e. with
>
> There aren't currently any plans, but we're now bringing online the
> infrastructure for supporting multiple package repositories (for the
> new-X.org stuff).  We're limited by the time it takes to build the
> ports tree (around 24 hours on a fast machine, although a lot of that
> is a few outliers), but I think this could be quite fast if it also
> excludes anything that has xlib as a dependency, so it would make a
> lot of sense.
>
> David

I discussed this, at least explained the situation a bit, to Dirk in
private.

I will add this to the current test system build just to guage the
time/space
involved. No guarantees right now that it will be published. The risk
is that of NEW_XORG and SSP adding in more builds may extend past 7
full days which will not give us predictable builds. This is mitigated
by
using a pool of build systems and a queue, which I plan to implement.
The package building infrastructure is still growing and evolving.

As for skipping unneeded ports the best I can do is '-a' or "Build it
all".
If a port is only needed for WITH_X11 then an IGNORE should be added to
it
when WITHOUT_X11 is set to prevent wasting time on it.

--
Regards,
Bryan Drewery