Re: official pkg repo with WITHOUT_X11=true

From: Allan Jude <allanjude_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 10:20:52 -0400
On 2014-05-29 08:42, Bryan Drewery wrote:

>> On May 29, 2014, at 4:19, David Chisnall <theraven_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>>
>>> On 29 May 2014, at 02:23, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> As for skipping unneeded ports the best I can do is '-a' or "Build it all".
>>> If a port is only needed for WITH_X11 then an IGNORE should be added to it
>>> when WITHOUT_X11 is set to prevent wasting time on it.
>>
>> We can probably do a bit better by looking at the complete dependency graph and removing any ports that have unconditional dependencies on X.  For a headless server, there's no reason to build any of the kde-* or gnome-* ports or, indeed, X itself.  I suspect that we could easily trim 2/3 of the build time by omitting ports that have a GUI, GUI toolkits, and so on.
>
> Yeah. My point was more that poudriere can't do that now and I would rather not add all that special-case logic to it. Clever make.conf logic might be able to do it.
>

>> Longer term, we may be able to share the build time a bit.  Ports which don't have a WITHOUT_X11 flag and don't unconditionally depend on X11 can potentially be pre-seeded from the normal package build (if we can identify them).  That only leaves the ports that actually have build-time conditional X support to build in the no-Xorg run.
>
> Yup! I have a patch for that in the works.

That would be a great improvement for the 'sets' feature in poudriere.
Almost all of my different sets have some overlap. Although this would
either require the 'queue' system you are working on, to say build sets
X, Y, and Z, and if there is any overlap share it. Or, augment the set
feature with an additional flag to specify a 'parent' set or something,
-z myset -Z commonset to tell it an already built set where it can steal
packages from.