Re: official pkg repo with WITHOUT_X11=true

From: David Chisnall <theraven_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 09:40:04 +0100
On 29 May 2014, at 23:06, Andreas Nilsson <andrnils_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Having a "parent" set would be nice, yes. I maintain two repos for several
> FreeBSD-versions. Being able to pull some of the deps from packages instead
> of blindingly building would be nice.

Yes, for a lot of cases you only want to build a small handful of packages with different options, so it would be nice if you could find out exactly what the options were for the upstream build and only build the packages yourself if you've specified different options or depend on a package with different options.

The problem is the notion of dependency here.  In some cases, linking against a shared library built with different options won't change your program's code, it will just make more things work.  In other cases, you'll have different things exposed in headers and even build-only dependencies will impact the output.

David