Re: comments on code-in tasks for FreeBSD (Re: FreeBSD + Google Code-In 2014 = we need ideas.)

From: Peter Pentchev <roam_at_ringlet.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 11:27:26 +0200
On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 07:55:16PM -0800, Rui Paulo wrote:
> On Nov 13, 2014, at 17:40, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo_at_iet.unipi.it> wrote:
> > But please nuke the current list -- it is completely inadequate
> > for the code-in candidates and misleading for whoever wants to
> > suggest new tasks. Again i am not saying that the projects
> > suggested there are not important, just belong somewhere else
> > e.g. gsoc.
>
> I refrained from voicing my opinion while the call for help was going
> on, but I completely agree that the target age of this Google initiative
> is inadequate to FreeBSD.  The target population is 13 years to 17 years
> old and I cannot even imagine a 13 year old knowing what FreeBSD is.

...and yet there was pat_at_ becoming a ports committer at the age of 16
and chris_at_ becoming a docs committer at the age of 14 :)  I think hmp_at_,
alepulver_at_, issyl0_at_ and jmallett_at_ were pretty young when they joined,
too.

Just an observation, I know that one or two isolated cases do not prove
a point :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  roam_at_ringlet.net roam_at_FreeBSD.org p.penchev_at_storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13