Re: comments on code-in tasks for FreeBSD (Re: FreeBSD + Google Code-In 2014 = we need ideas.)

From: Mark Saad <nonesuch_at_longcount.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 06:38:20 -0500
> On Nov 14, 2014, at 4:27 AM, Peter Pentchev <roam_at_ringlet.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 07:55:16PM -0800, Rui Paulo wrote:
>>> On Nov 13, 2014, at 17:40, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo_at_iet.unipi.it> wrote:
>>> But please nuke the current list -- it is completely inadequate
>>> for the code-in candidates and misleading for whoever wants to
>>> suggest new tasks. Again i am not saying that the projects
>>> suggested there are not important, just belong somewhere else
>>> e.g. gsoc.

I have a few ideas for younger and or less experienced google code in people

1. Analyze the CD/USB  install process .
Does the actual process match the guide and or general docs .

2. Analyze / comment on the automated install process "jumpstart ". Does the guide and general docs match the actual process .

3. Test the virtual machine images as vagrant box images , and create vagrant box images from the official vm images .

4. Create a script for the installer "bsd install" to use glabel to label gparts slices as /dev/label/$NAME

5. Test the ami images , again can the docs be improved are they accurate .

The

Now let me preface the docs tasks , by no means am I saying that the docs team has made lots of mistakes and their work needs to be rechecked . The tasks are small enough that most high school aged people could grasp the issue, with out any prior experience in BSD world . Rechecking the docs is always a good idea .

They should allow the code in members to make some good contributions ; and maybe even some good improvements .

>> I refrained from voicing my opinion while the call for help was going
>> on, but I completely agree that the target age of this Google initiative
>> is inadequate to FreeBSD.  The target population is 13 years to 17 years
>> old and I cannot even imagine a 13 year old knowing what FreeBSD is.
>
> ...and yet there was pat_at_ becoming a ports committer at the age of 16
> and chris_at_ becoming a docs committer at the age of 14 :)  I think hmp_at_,
> alepulver_at_, issyl0_at_ and jmallett_at_ were pretty young when they joined,
> too.
>
> Just an observation, I know that one or two isolated cases do not prove
> a point :)
>
> G'luck,
> Peter
>
> --
> Peter Pentchev  roam_at_ringlet.net roam_at_FreeBSD.org p.penchev_at_storpool.com
> PGP key:        http://people.FreeBSD.org/~roam/roam.key.asc
> Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13

Mark saad | mark.saad_at_longcount.org