Re: Some NFS server V4 questions

From: Beeblebrox <zaphod_at_berentweb.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 01:48:19 -0700 (PDT)
Sorry guys, we have a considerable time-zone difference.

>> It appears that the sysctl must be set before mountd, nfsd are
>> started to take effect. (Or they must be restarted after it is set.)
I had apparently re-started nfsd but not mountd. This time re-starting both and launching the PXE client fails at mount_root stage as expected:
exec /sbin/init: error 43
exec /rescue/init: error 43
panic: no init

One cannot set "sysctl vfs.nfsd.server_min_nfsvers=4" until one of mountd/nfsd is started however, otherwise it gives an error. I have not tried, but I suppose this error does not happen when placeed in /etc/sysctl.conf?
sysctl: unknown oid 'vfs.nfsd.server_min_nfsvers': No such file or directory

>> Maybe it was the talk about getting rid of the oldnfs stuff that
>> made you think V2, 3 were going away?
Yes, that was it and I obviously misunderstood that thread.

What's the max NFS version that supports mount_root from PXE clients then? As I recall, this would be V3. However, root is consistently being mounted as V2.
The fstab for diskless clients:
192.168.2.1:/data/amd64 /       nfs     ro,nfsv3        0  0
192.168.2.1:/usr/local /usr/local nfs   ro,nfsv4        0  0
192.168.2.1:/home       /home   nfs     rw,nfsv4,hard,intr      0  0

nfsstat shows "/" as NFSV2, while the other two are NFSV4. Changing fstab entry to nfsv4 for root gives same result.
I tried set "sysctl vfs.nfsd.server_min_nfsvers=3" and I get the same mount_root error as when this was set to 4. Im I missing something? It does not seem that "vfs.nfsd.server_min_nfsvers" will be of much use to me, unless I can get > V2 to mount as root.

Regards.

-----
FreeBSD-11-current_amd64_root-on-zfs_RadeonKMS