Re: Some NFS server V4 questions

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 08:14:05 -0400 (EDT)
Beeblebrox wrote:
> Sorry guys, we have a considerable time-zone difference.
>
> >> It appears that the sysctl must be set before mountd, nfsd are
> >> started to take effect. (Or they must be restarted after it is
> >> set.)
> I had apparently re-started nfsd but not mountd. This time
> re-starting both and launching the PXE client fails at mount_root
> stage as expected:
> exec /sbin/init: error 43
> exec /rescue/init: error 43
> panic: no init
>
> One cannot set "sysctl vfs.nfsd.server_min_nfsvers=4" until one of
> mountd/nfsd is started however, otherwise it gives an error. I have
> not tried, but I suppose this error does not happen when placeed in
> /etc/sysctl.conf?
> sysctl: unknown oid 'vfs.nfsd.server_min_nfsvers': No such file or
> directory

It works if it is /etc/sysctl.conf if "options NFSD" are specified
for the kernel, which is what GENERIC for i386 has.

If "options NFSD" isn't in your kernel config, I think you'd have to
get nfsd.ko loaded before setting the sysctl and do both before
starting mountd.

I don't know of a clean way to do this?

Putting kldload and sysctl command lines in mountd_precmd() in
/etc/rc.d/mountd would do it I suspect. Maybe rc variables for
this should be added? (I haven't tried this since the only
kernels I have handy have "options NFSD" in them.)

rick