Re: [HEADSUP] pkg(8) is now the only package management tool

From: Michelle Sullivan <michelle_at_sorbs.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 17:53:52 +0200
Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 11:40 AM, Michelle Sullivan <michelle_at_sorbs.net>
> wrote:
>

>> This is my only option - however, I suspect I'm already f**ked - my
>> build servers kicked off at 4am and the non pkg jails automatically
>> converted themselves to pkg.. the pkg jails obviously continued...
>> however I now have a repo that contains half pkg versions in the same
>> directory structure and indexes as the pkg_install structure...
>>

> So, the flip side of enterprise software management is that you probably
> should not be integrating a rolling release like ports into what is
> supposed to be a stable verified environment in the first place.
> *Especially* not via cron jobs with no supervision. At the very least, your
> jails should be working from a local ports tree (or packages via
> poudriere), with cherry-picking of locally tested patches.

The roll until they get a stable base (using Jenkins as the controller)
- they've been rolling since a patch to DBIx-SearchBuilder (that I
created and submitted), which out came the DBD::Pg update to 3.3.0 and
the subsequent blacklisting of it for RT 4.x and then the tcl breakage
around mid August until 2 days ago...  So yeah not that stupid.

--
Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/