Re: CURRENT: EFI boot failure

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 07:51:21 +0200
Am Mon, 15 Sep 2014 17:39:26 -0700
Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn_at_freebsd.org> schrieb:

> On 09/15/14 17:36, Allan Jude wrote:
> > On 2014-09-15 20:05, O. Hartmann wrote:
> >> Installing FreeBSD-11.0-CURRENT-amd64-20140903-r270990 on a Laptop works for UEFI
> >> fine. After I updated the sources to  r271649, recompiled world and kernel (as well
> >> as installed), now I get stuck with the screen message:

> >>     Loader path: /boot/loader.efi
> >>
> >> and nothing happens. After a couple of minutes, the system reboots.
> >>
> >> What happened and how can this problem be solved?
> >>
> > You might need to update the boot1.efi file on the UEFI partition (small
> > FAT partition on the disk)
> >
> > I am not sure how 'in sync' boot1.efi (on the fat partiton) and
> > loader.efi have to be.
> >
> > https://wiki.freebsd.org/UEFI
> >

> boot1.efi is designed never to need updating. (It also hasn't changed
> since April)
> -Nathan

But it has changed bytesize when I recompiled world with recent sources compared to the
boot.efi size from the USB image I installed from (revision see above).

How to update bootcode on UEFI layout? I created a GPT partition with type efi (1 GB) as
well as a 512KB partition typed freebsd-boot.

I'm new to EFI and the way the notebook now behaves is really strange. While the USB
drive image used to boot with new console enabled, it now boots again with the old
console and 800x640 resolution. This might indicate some minor but very effective mistake
I made.

Oliver