Re: CURRENT: EFI boot failure

From: Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 00:09:01 -0700
On 09/15/14 22:51, O. Hartmann wrote:
> Am Mon, 15 Sep 2014 17:39:26 -0700
> Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn_at_freebsd.org> schrieb:

>>> You might need to update the boot1.efi file on the UEFI partition (small
>>> FAT partition on the disk)
>>>
>>> I am not sure how 'in sync' boot1.efi (on the fat partiton) and
>>> loader.efi have to be.
>>>
>>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/UEFI
>>>
>> boot1.efi is designed never to need updating. (It also hasn't changed
>> since April)
>> -Nathan
>
> But it has changed bytesize when I recompiled world with recent sources compared to the
> boot.efi size from the USB image I installed from (revision see above).

Probably compiler updates or something? I really wouldn't worry about it
too much. I'd worry more about loader, since we know boot1 could use the
console but loader doesn't show up.

> How to update bootcode on UEFI layout? I created a GPT partition with type efi (1 GB) as
> well as a 512KB partition typed freebsd-boot.

How did you set it up in the first place? If you have a FreeBSD-only
system partition (like the installer sets up), you just dd
/boot/boot1.efifat to the EFI partition. Otherwise, it's FAT and you
copy /boot/boot1.efi to somewhere your boot manager can find it.

> I'm new to EFI and the way the notebook now behaves is really strange. While the USB
> drive image used to boot with new console enabled, it now boots again with the old
> console and 800x640 resolution. This might indicate some minor but very effective mistake
> I made.

The EFI boot block finds the first UFS partition -- on any disk -- and
tries to boot from it. If you have multiple FreeBSD disks connected,
that will very likely result in madness.
-Nathan