Re: CURRENT: EFI boot failure

From: Ed Maste <emaste_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 19:29:57 -0400
On 16 September 2014 18:54, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 09/16/14 14:50, O. Hartmann wrote:
>>
>> When the system boots, I do not see a loader! Where is the loader I'm used
>> to see when I
>> have the chance to switch to single user mode, console or switch off ACPI?
>

> There is no beastie menu for UEFI, and will not be, since it UEFI's terminal
> emulation does not provide the required features. You can boot single user
> from the loader command line, however, with boot -s, for example. The
> interface is identical to what you get if you choose "Loader prompt" in the
> usual menu.

As Nathan says there's no beastie menu, but you should still see the
loader.  If you get a "Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other
key for command prompt." message, you're seeing the loader.

There is an additional complication that affects some systems, where
we do not switch to text mode.  In this case you truly won't see the
loader.  This is described in the link Andriy provided (along with a
workaround), and we have a patch in progress for this.  So far this
mainly known to affect MacBooks.