(unknown charset) Fwd: usb printer vs cups

From: (unknown charset) Andriy Gapon <avg_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 09:00:46 +0300
Soliciting help.

-------- Forwarded Message --------

>From my experience I think that cupsd executes backend tools with all uids and
gids set to cups and no supplementary groups.  In the case of USB printers the
backends need to access /dev/usbctl and /dev/usb/foobar that corresponds to a
printer.  That means that the access to those devices must be somehow granted to
cups:cups.
How do people solve this?  What kind of permissions / configuration do you use?

P.S.
Maybe I over-generalized the issue to all USB printers.  My personal experience
is with an HP printer handled by hplip / hplip-plugin.
--
Andriy Gapon