Re: usb printer vs cups

From: David Chisnall <theraven_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 07:57:10 +0100
There are a couple of similar issues currently.  The other one that comes to mind is that every X11 application that needs to use OpenGL (or similar) must open /dev/dri/{something}, but the default permissions only permit root.

The correct solution is probably to ship a devfs.conf that puts these devices in the a sensible group.  For USB printers, we should probably have a printers group and make cupsd run with that group (or set the GUI of cups and printers to the same number if that's too difficult).

David