Re: 10.1-BETA2 ZFS boot failure on sparc64

From: Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 08:09:00 -0700
On 09/23/14 08:04, Allan Jude wrote:
> On 2014-09-23 02:13, Kurt Lidl wrote:
>> I downloaded the 10.1-BETA disc1 iso image for
>> sparc64, and burned it to media. I then used that
>> media to attempt an installation onto a spare
>> sparc64 machine that I have.
>>
>> Using UFS as the filesystem, and more or less just
>> following the prompts, the system got installed OK,
>> and boots off of ZFS OK.
>>
>> I then reinstalled onto a system that I manually
>> configured for ZFS.  This installation fails to boot
>> from the hard disk, dying like this:
>>
>> ---- snip, snip ----
>> ok reset
>> Res
>> LOM event: +487d+12h37m31s host reset
>> etting ...
>>
>> ?
>> Sun Fire V120 (UltraSPARC-IIe 648MHz), No Keyboard
>> OpenBoot 4.0, 4096 MB memory installed, Serial #53476432.
>> Ethernet address 0:3:ba:2f:fc:50, Host ID: 832ffc50.
>>
>> Boot device: disk0  File and args:

>>     Boot path:   /pci_at_1f,0/pci_at_1/scsi_at_8/disk_at_0,0:a
>> Consoles: Open Firmware console
>> Memory Address not Aligned
>> ok
>>
>> ---- snip, snip ----
>>
>> I have used my exact procedure in the past to install onto a ZFS
>> only sparc without issue.
>>
>> Has anyone else tried booting a ZFS only sparc64 installation
>> recently?
>>
>> -Kurt
>>
> If you have the entire drive to spare, have you tried the 'ZFS auto
> mode' script that Devin and I wrote? It is the bottom option in the
> installer partitioning menu.

Allan, that script doesn't work on sparc since it doesn't know about
VTOC8 and can only install to GPT and MBR. As committed, the menu item
is also disabled on anything other than i386 and amd64. The partition
editor in -CURRENT likely works, since it is based on code Kurt
submitted, but is untested on sparc since his original patch.

I think the more likely issue is that the boot blocks have bitrotted
somehow on SPARC. That's certainly consistent with the "Memory Address
not Aligned" error.
-Nathan