Re: Poor state of the build infrastructure.

From: Marcel Moolenaar <marcel_at_xcllnt.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 16:33:46 -0700
On Sep 24, 2014, at 12:54 PM, John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 23, 2014 09:29:48 AM Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>> What is going on here?
>> Are we still in some kind of flux and people aren't done yet or is
>> this the intended state by virtue of noone having anything left on
>> there TODO list?
>
> Sorry to ask a dumb question, but are you sure you did the make buildworld
> first?  Shouldn't that have errored if it couldn't build crt1?

The root cause problem was that MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX was not set
to whatever it was set to during buildworld. That was easy
enough to figure out when a bunch of things don't add up.

But neither problem mentioned in the email had anything to
do with MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX. Having to set the COMPILER_TYPE
as part of an install is a bug. Entering a powerpc buildenv
and having a compiler that builds for the host (or maybe
just some default) is a regression.

The only thing the FreeBSD build is good at, really, is
building in /usr/src for the host. The rest is just not
up to par and I think it harms FreeBSD beyond belief.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
marcel_at_xcllnt.net