Re: Poor state of the build infrastructure.

From: Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 16:47:31 -0700
On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 16:33:46 -0700
Marcel Moolenaar <marcel_at_xcllnt.net> wrote:

> On Sep 24, 2014, at 12:54 PM, John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, September 23, 2014 09:29:48 AM Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> >> What is going on here?
> >> Are we still in some kind of flux and people aren't done yet or is
> >> this the intended state by virtue of noone having anything left on
> >> there TODO list?
> >
> > Sorry to ask a dumb question, but are you sure you did the make
> > buildworld first?  Shouldn't that have errored if it couldn't build
> > crt1?
>
> The root cause problem was that MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX was not set
> to whatever it was set to during buildworld. That was easy
> enough to figure out when a bunch of things don't add up.

That's a very annoying problem, and even more annoying to track down.

> But neither problem mentioned in the email had anything to
> do with MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX. Having to set the COMPILER_TYPE
> as part of an install is a bug. Entering a powerpc buildenv
> and having a compiler that builds for the host (or maybe
> just some default) is a regression.

When MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX isn't set, it takes whatever compiler it can
find.  It should probably error out instead, since the build
environment isn't sane at this point.  I ran into this probably a few
weeks back.

> The only thing the FreeBSD build is good at, really, is
> building in /usr/src for the host. The rest is just not
> up to par and I think it harms FreeBSD beyond belief.

I have no problems building outside of /usr/src.

- Justin