Re: Poor state of the build infrastructure.

From: Ian Lepore <ian_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 14:09:56 -0600
On Thu, 2014-09-25 at 14:50 -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 24, 2014 7:33:46 pm Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> > > Sorry to ask a dumb question, but are you sure you did the make buildworld
> > > first?  Shouldn't that have errored if it couldn't build crt1?
> >
> > The root cause problem was that MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX was not set
> > to whatever it was set to during buildworld. That was easy
> > enough to figure out when a bunch of things don't add up.
>
> Ok.
>
> > But neither problem mentioned in the email had anything to
> > do with MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX. Having to set the COMPILER_TYPE
> > as part of an install is a bug. Entering a powerpc buildenv
> > and having a compiler that builds for the host (or maybe
> > just some default) is a regression.
>
> Agreed on COMPILER_TYPE, but I think the path thing has always been true in
> make buildenv because we don't build cross-tools for things like 'cp'.

Just to be clear, all the problems in the original mail, including
failure to detect COMPILER_TYPE automatically and building the wrong
type of binaries, were fallout from the original problem of not setting
MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX correctly.  It turns out if you use the build system
correctly, it works!  (Unfortunately, using it correctly requires
knowing about a whole lotta knobs to be set these days if your needs are
not vanilla.)

-- Ian