Re: WiFi 802.11/ac PCIe supported adaptor

From: Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 23:20:53 -0700
On 09/27/14 23:06, O. Hartmann wrote:
> Am Sun, 28 Sep 2014 00:22:09 +0200
> Lars Engels <lars.engels_at_0x20.net> schrieb:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 02:38:30PM +0200, O. Hartmann wrote:
>>> I'm looking for a replacemnt for my 802.11g WiFi PCIe adaptor card and want to
>>> replace it with an 802.11ac adaptor.
>>>
>>> Since I made very bad experiences with CURRENT and support of modest modern hardware
>>> (Haswell CPU/Intel  7260 DualBand WiFi NIC), I'd like to ask here first.
>>>
>>> I found this PCIe adaptor card attractive:
>>>
>>> GigaByte Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I
>>>
>>> I can not find ad hoc the WLAN chip used on that specific card, but maybe someone has
>>> experiences with that litte board.
>> FreeBSD doensn't support 802.11ac, yet.
> I'm bitter aware of that. This OS doesn't support the chipsets, even if they provide also
> 11a/g/n.
>
> We have at our department now a bunch of Lenovo hardware, with Intels 7260 chipset. The
> laptops are now runninmg Ubuntu 14.0X something which obviously supports the WiFi chip.
> I'm the last man standing with FreeBSD on my private Lenovo :-(

This is a serious problem. I'm about ready to install Linux on my laptop
as well just to get a usable system. Some kind of funding directed to a
willing developer would be hugely valuable for the usability of the
operating system on recent hardware. This is probably more important
even than Haswell graphics since without a driver, Haswell is merely
slow, whereas networking is completely broken.
-Nathan