Re: Dual booting FreeBSD and Win95

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 16:39:39 -0700
On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 12:30 PM, Ryan Stone <rysto32_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> We're looking at dual-booting FreeBSD and Win95.  We're thinking of booting

Wow, I like your problem.  It's really weird, and I like weird problems. :)

Since you are looking at automating a complicated process,
here is a crazy idea which you might want to consider

(1)  Get two machines, interconnect them via a small Ethernet switch.
(2)  Designate one machine as a PXE server, and the other as your test
machine
(3)  Set up a FreeBSD PXE boot environment wit NFS root, as per:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-diskless.html#network-pxe-nfs
(4)  Figure out how to PXE boot a Windows95 environment.  There are
articles out there for PXE booting FreeDOS which might be a place to start:

http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~dbaird/work/2013/11/05/pxe-boot-freedos-hard-disk-image/

On the DHCP server, you can modify dhcpd.conf to change which OS will boot
via PXE boot.
If you can:
   -> automate the reboot of your test server
   -> automate the modification of dhcpd.conf on your PXE server via some
process

then you might be able to get it to work. :)
--
Craig