Re: r286743: Required tool strip not found in PATH. *** Error code 1

From: Ed Maste <emaste_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 10:31:35 -0400
On 14 August 2015 at 02:21, O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> I have rebuilt buildworld from scratch (clean/empty /usr/obj). Installation of
> world via "make installworld" still fails as reported - I thought an
> world-installation is somehow self-contained so the /usr/bin/strip (or whetever
> needed at that time for performing the task) is taken from the obj-tree, not
> already-installed-tree. Am I wrong?

Yes, it uses the already-installed host's tools, because they're the
ones that match the running kernel. The new tools in /usr/obj may
invoke syscalls that don't exist in the running kernel, for example.
For the most part the tools used by installworld perform file system
operations (e.g., cat, cp, mv, chmod) and don't actually change file
contents. There are a few tools run at install time for which this
isn't true (like strip) though. That list of tools needs to be kept
small and carefully controlled to avoid introducing backwards
compatibility issues.