Re: webcamd & cuse4bsd

From: Kostya Berger <bergerkos_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 19:54:10 +0000 (UTC)
Well, this seems to be either hardware or software (driver code) bug.
After `usbconfig -d ugen1.4 reset` webcamd restarting sometimes creates the device /dev/video0 -- sometimes,, but not every time. More often than not it doesn't. So there's no method seen in this behaviour so far. I wonder how I could debug this.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 1:22, Kostya Berger<bergerkos_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:   Ok, I failed to make it clear enough: the module is loaded on boot. This was what was actually meant by the expression "when the system starts". By contrast, loading on demand is... well, loading "on demand". These are two ways of starting a program, "on demand", as opposite to "when the system starts". Please, correct me if I'm wrong here.Yet the situation is as I described. That's what I'm actually reporting. Just now I've done a reboot, and here we go again: all modules loaded, /dev/cuse persent, the message telling me "webcam is already running on ugen1.4.0" (my web-camera) -- and NO /dev/video0.

Though it hits me now, there are 3 devices /dev/usb/1.4.*. Maybe 1.4.0 is not the correct one?

  On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 23:54, Allan Jude<allanjude_at_freebsd.org> wrote:   On 2015-12-15 14:13, Kostya Berger wrote:
> You misread my message, sorry. I said the devices are not created EVERY
> TIME the system starts. Rather, it becomes A MATTER OF CHANCE. That is,
> sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't.
> (with the modules not loaded it would be stable NO)
>

> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>
>    On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 23:01, Allan Jude
>    <allanjude_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>    On 2015-12-15 13:37, Kostya Berger wrote:
>
>    > There is this problem I'm experiencing with webcamd (set to
>    webcamd_enable=YES) and cuse4bsd: special devices /dev/video0 and
>    /dev/cuse are NOT cteated every time on system start. Rather, it
>    becomes a matter of chance.Have the same problem on RELEASE & STABLE
>    as well.
>    >
>    > Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>    > _______________________________________________
>    > freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org <javascript:return> mailing list
>    > https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-current
>    > To unsubscribe, send any mail to
>    "freebsd-current-unsubscribe_at_freebsd.org <javascript:return>
>    "
>    >
>
>    In /boot/loader.conf try adding:
>
>    cuse_load="YES"
>
>    this will load the module, and should ensure the devices are available
>    before webcamd starts.
>
>    --
>    Allan Jude

The module is loaded 'on demand', but obviously something it not loading
it on-demand when you want it. Forcing it to always be loaded, should
solve your problem.

--
Allan Jude