Re: Re: keymap set after file system decryption

From: Trond Endrestøl <Trond.Endrestol_at_fagskolen.gjovik.no>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 11:56:43 +0100 (CET)
On Wed, 16 Dec 2015 16:34-0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 7:34 AM, Carsten Kunze <carsten.kunze_at_arcor.de>
> wrote:
>
> > Trond Endrestøl <Trond.Endrestol_at_fagskolen.gjovik.no> wrote:
> >
> > > I guess we who live outside the US should take into account that PCs
> > > are initialised by firmware to the US keyboard layout and the 437 code
> > > page, courtesy of IBM, 1981.
> >
> > In 1981 I had accepted this.  Now it's simply a bug and I wonder it has
> > not been fixed in 22 years.  I'll file a bug report.
> >
> > > I'm not sure if the creators of (U)EFI has considered other keyboard
> > > layouts and/or code pages at boot time.
> >
> > I don't care for the BIOS here, the OS has to take care of it.  It may be
> > ok that at the boot prompt only US keymap is set.  But when the rc scripts
> > are running the keymap must be set correctly (as one of the first actions).
> >
> > > A bad workaround is to copy the suitable keymap from /usr/share... to
> > > /etc, along with /usr/sbin/kbdcontrol, and add a suitable line to one
> > > or either of /etc/rc.d/geli{,2}, e.g.:
> > >
> > > /etc/kbdcontrol -l /etc/german.iso.kbd
> > >
> > > kbdcontrol is linked only to libc:
> > >
> > > $ ldd `which kbdcontrol`
> > > /usr/sbin/kbdcontrol:
> > >         libc.so.7 => /lib/libc.so.7 (0x800827000)
> >
> > In my case it's simpler since I have /usr in /, but as you descripted
> > kbdcontrol must be in /sbin and the maps in /etc in the future.
> >
> > Carsten
> >

> You can specify your default keymap in your kernel config file.
> ATKBD_DFLT_KEYBD. It's possible that you might be able to set it in
> /boot/loader.conf, as well, but I'm not too sure of this. See atkbd(4).

I can confirm that neither ATKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP nor UKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP, nor
SC_DFLT_FONT for that matter, works as intended.

I have never had any success with:

options		SC_DFLT_FONT
makeoptions	SC_DFLT_FONT=iso

options		UKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP
makeoptions	UKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP=norwegian.iso

options		ATKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP
makeoptions	ATKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP=norwegian.iso

Please prove me wrong.

--
| Vennlig hilsen,               | Best regards,                      |