Re: default pager (csh)

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 23:45:27 -0800
On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 10:46 PM, Franco Fichtner <franco_at_lastsummer.de>
wrote:

> > On 19 Feb 2015, at 02:27, Davide Italiano <davide_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 5:18 PM, Adam McDougall <mcdouga9_at_egr.msu.edu>
> wrote:
> >> The PAGER was less for about half a year and reverted.  Please see:
> >>
> >> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=242643
> >
> > OK, I think this ends the discussion =)
>
> Nope, not good enough.  The way I see it we achieved nothing
> despite the fact that several bugs are on the table.
>
> Now that we all agree more(1) is the way to go, can we please fix
> colouring and the pager quit issue for man pages using sensible
> options in more(1)?
>
> Other's should speak up for their woes with the FreeBSD defaults
> too.  The defaults are supposed to be the best we can do.  Right
> now, we can actually do better.  :)
>

> Cheers,
> Franco

I want my bikeshed to be purple with yellow stars.

I want my PAGER to be Jim Davis's most(1). Does a LOT more than more or
less. (Does have the annoying te/ti thing, though.) Displays binary.
Auto-decompresses compressed files. Allows moving my line or percentage.
Whole raft of neat stuff. Usually the second port (after portmaster) I
install on a system since my finger type "most" even when I want them to
type "more" because the system does not have most installed.

I don't expect anyone else to agree and don't expect it to ever be in the
base, let alone the default. Still, it's a much better pager then less,
whether it's called more or not. Started using it at least 25 years ago on
VMS.
--
Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman_at_gmail.com