Re: default pager (csh)

From: Jeffrey Bouquet <jbtakk_at_iherebuywisely.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 02:42:04 -0800 (PST)
On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 23:45:27 -0800, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 10:46 PM, Franco Fichtner <franco_at_lastsummer.de>
> wrote:
>

> > > On 19 Feb 2015, at 02:27, Davide Italiano <davide_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> > > OK, I think this ends the discussion =)
> >
> > Nope, not good enough.  The way I see it we achieved nothing
> > despite the fact that several bugs are on the table.
> >
> > Now that we all agree more(1) is the way to go, can we please fix
> > colouring and the pager quit issue for man pages using sensible
> > options in more(1)?
> >
> > Other's should speak up for their woes with the FreeBSD defaults
> > too.  The defaults are supposed to be the best we can do.  Right
> > now, we can actually do better.  :)
> >

> > Cheers,
> > Franco
> >

> I want my bikeshed to be purple with yellow stars.
>
> I want my PAGER to be Jim Davis's most(1). Does a LOT more than more or
> less. (Does have the annoying te/ti thing, though.) Displays binary.
> Auto-decompresses compressed files. Allows moving my line or percentage.
> Whole raft of neat stuff. Usually the second port (after portmaster) I
> install on a system since my finger type "most" even when I want them to
> type "more" because the system does not have most installed.
>
> I don't expect anyone else to agree and don't expect it to ever be in the
> base, let alone the default. Still, it's a much better pager then less,
> whether it's called more or not. Started using it at least 25 years ago on
> VMS.
> --
> Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
> E-mail: rkoberman_at_gmail.com

Here:  (.zshrc)...

PAGER='cat'
alias man='env PAGER=lookat man $1'

That bottom one is so useful for the 's' search key... EXAMPLES for instance.
Same on all keyboards...
[ seems easier to read with default colors, also... ]
However in some instances (screen, dvtm, tmux... ) it may have onscreen artifacts
one can simply then 'sh' (untested) first... for  usual 'man' instance of PAGER.
/usr/ports/sysutils/lookat...

[ Just re-noticed that 'cat' entry today.  No idea of the difference to a default... ]