Re: DigitalOcean offers VMs with FreeBSD!

From: Bernhard Fröhlich <decke_at_bluelife.at>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 19:40:06 +0100
On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 12:29 PM, Lev Serebryakov <lev_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

https://www.digitalocean.com/company/blog/presenting-freebsd-how-we-made-it-happen/

> I didn't see this news on mailing lists :)

I had a quick look at it and the result is
quite poor considering the time it took them to get it done.

They had to install quite a few packages (perl, python27, libX11, avahi
...) and modified the stock FreeBSD image quite a bit. At startup they send
an arping otherwise you do not even have network access in their network.
This looks all a bit hackish and error prone. I am really wondering how
long it will take that a regular update breaks their scripts and let's you
back with a non accessible box.

--
Bernhard Froehlich
http://www.bluelife.at/